Cliqrez is a gathering place for lost gaming friends. Think of it as a refuge point for players who have fallen out of contact or guilds without a home.
Reforging gaming communities.
Before cloud-computing was a thing it wasn't uncommon for the game server or website a community had grown around to disappear overnight, and with it an entire gaming community and it's history. A good example being almost any Vanilla WoW guild website.
Posting a Rally Point
Creating a Community
Finding a game to play
Sharing game servers
Why create CliqRez?
We think it's a damn shame that so much of our pre-cloud gaming history is lost forever.
Online gamers from the 90's and early 2000's know our pain too well.
Like many old school gamers, we frequently get lost in nostalgia.
Over drinks (or a reddit thread) we share our stories and experiences, some of the them fantastic and others toxic. All of them memorable.
We do our best to recreate these experiences, but the gaming landscape has changed (and us with it).
Two problems we always face
1. It's hard to reliably reconnect with old gaming friends. We might have known them only by an alias, or where they hung out in-game.
2. When we do get in contact it's hard to find a good outlet to play with these people again.
These are the issues we want to solve.
Are you an ex Ultima Online or Neverwinter Nights player?
A shard of hope
As ex-NWN junkies, our current hope is Shards Online.
The default game mode may be closer to Ultima Online or Runescape, but the ability to host your own clusters and define your own game rules makes it by far the best potential successor we have seen yet.
The game is still in early alpha, but if the toolset delivers we can see a strong community growing behind it.
From the Shards Online Wiki (Source)
- Shards Online is breaking away from the modern MMO conventions of levels, classes and quest grinds. We are returning to living virtual worlds where stories emerge naturally as players explore the worlds laid out before them.
- Shards Online will launch with a complete game containing several official rule-sets. The default rule-set will be immersive with real consequences for death and areas with unrestricted player versus player combat.
- We are initially targeting the PC platform, and plans for a Mac and Linux launch are in the works. Shards Online will be distributed digitally and we are strongly considering using an established platform like Steam. When you purchase the game, you will be able to play on player run clusters and run a single ‘shard’ with no additional cost or subscription fees.
Ultimately, we aren't just creating a game that fosters a player community, instead, we are giving our players the tools to create their own in-game communities.
- Doom Composer Mick Gordon: "one of the pre-conditions of the project was no metal".
- The making of Warcraft part 1
- Decade old level 999 door in Tibia to finally be opened
- Shards Online: Necromancy and Player Shops
- Shards Online - May Community Roundtable
- Official response from Blizzard on Nostalrius
- The Division netcode is broken (badly)